Kodi is a free and open-source media player software application. It is a very popular media streaming platform and is available across all the major platforms like macOS, Linux, and much more. Thanks to google, they have added Google Play Store support on Chromebooks. Therefore you can install the Kodi app from it on Chromebooks. Also, Many older Chromebooks don’t support the play store therefore we have also added a workaround to solve the issue so that you can enjoy Kodi.
Install Kodi On Chromebook
There is a total of two methods to install Kodi in the Chromebook. So, we will dive into the methods with an easy step-by-step guide.
Install Kodi on Chromebook From the Google Play Store
If your Chromebook supports Google play store, do as follows:
- Open the Google Play Store on your Chromebook and search for Kodi.
- Install it. After the installation is complete, open it and grant the necessary permission.
- Add your media sources and run it as you do on Windows or other platforms. The good thing is that you can install add-ons, Kodi repository, and everything else without any limitation.
- If Google Play Store is not present on your Chromebook but it is supported, just open Settings and click on the hamburger menu
- Then, click on Google Play Store.
- Then click on the Turn on button to activate the Google Play Store
Install Kodi on Chromebook without the Google Play Store
Older Chromebooks seem to not support the Google play store therefore you can’t enjoy Android apps seamlessly. So, here is a guide to install Kodi without play store, just follow the steps:
- Download the Kodi APK file from the official website.
- Download and Install ARC Welder (Free) extension from the Chrome Web Store. The extension is about around 200 MB which is quite large for a chrome extension but is worth it.
- After that installation, launch ARC Welder and click on the Choose button
- Then select the Kodi apk from the dialog box and add the apk to ARC Welder
- Then click the Kodi APK file and open it
- Now select the orientation.
- Therefore, Kodi will launch, and now you can enjoy
But there is a catch, for using Kodi through the ARC Welder, you have to manually add the APK every time you want to use it. Therefore, for a workaround, you can just create an extension to quickly open Kodi using ARC Welder. So, follow the steps to fix the issue.
- Open the Chrome and click on the 3-dots menu then click on More Tools then open Extensions
- Enable the Developer mode and then click on the Load unpacked button.
- Then, browse to the APK file directory and open the ARC exported folder which will be along with the APK file.
- Therefore Kodi will be added to your app drawer
Thanks to this method, you can open Kodi just like an app from the app drawer and enjoy it without the Play store.
We hope this guide has helped you a lot. Enjoy Kodi with your family and friends and have a good time.